Electric appliances should not be used when in contact with water.
All the electrical appliances which are not in use should be unplugged.
An electrical appliance should not be touched with a metal object.
It should be made sure that your hands are dry when using an appliance.
Clothes should not be hung and furniture should not be placed near an electric heater or a hot plate.
Electric heaters should be kept on a non-flammable levelled surface.
Appliance codes should be prevented from being in contact with the stove or other heated surfaces.
An electrical plug should not be pulled out by the cord.
Perished or cracked electrical cords must be replaced with new ones.
Electrical cords should be kept away from walking areas in the home.
Appliance cords should be safely kept away from the places where children and pets can reach.
Extension cords should be used minimally.
When replacing circuit breakers and fuses, correct sized devices should be used.
Outdoor wiring should be kept on a separate circuit.
With the exception of an electric plug, no object should be stuck into an outlet.
Do not run electrical cords under rugs and heavy furniture.
Do not overload outlets with too many appliances; make use of multiple outlets in the vicinity.
When outside, use only extension cords that are approved for outdoor use.
Protect outdoor outlets with protective, weatherproof covers.
Know the location of the main electrical switch in the home.
Never force a plug into an outlet.
Unplug all electrical appliances before repairing or cleaning.
Unplug an appliance that has fallen into water before attempting to retrieve it.
Never use any electric appliance on a wet surface, while in contact with water.
Use electrical appliances with three-pronged plugs.
Keep electric heaters at least four (4) feet from furniture and drapes.
Do not go to sleep with a heating pad or a space heater turned on.
Always unplug an appliance that overheats, and have it repaired by a professional.
Turn off a light before replacing the bulb
Some overhead power lines appear insulated but only have weather protection. These are not safe to be touched. Touching a power line with any part of your body or any object such as ladders, tree trimmers, poles, ropes or kites can result in serious injury or death. Electricity can move through conductive materials, i.e., water, metal, wood, aluminium, string and plastics. If you see a wire down, keep yourself and others away and contact CEB Call Centre immediately via 1987.
When carrying long or tall items such as ladders, scaffolding, tree saws and pool cleaning equipment, hold them parallel to the ground to avoid contact with power and other overhead wires. Before you raise them into the air, make sure they do not touch a power line.
Wear shoes when using outdoor electrical equipment.
Maintain proper clearances. For your protection, certain critical clearances are required by law, and minimum of 10 feet must be maintained when working below or adjacent to power lines.
Children should be made aware of safety measures. They should be instructed to stay away from electric facilities such as substations, transmission towers, transformers and power lines.
Do not climb trees if they are touching or near a power line.
Make sure that your outside outlets have a ground earth leakage current interrupter to protect you from potential shock.